Monday, January 16, 2012

Politics are depressing

I've been following a political blog for over two years now. I've read post after post of the hypocrisy of the political parties, the politicians, the local government, law enforcement, and others. I've recently become more acutely aware of my own anxiety and what triggers it. What I have begun to notice is that reading about all these people doing such terrible things has become a serious trigger for my anxiety. I thought about why these things would cause me distress, and I've realized that seeing all of this in one massive digest is destroying my faith in humanity.

I've never really been called an optimist but I like to believe that people are generally good and are not actively seeking to make everyone's lives worse. I accept that some people don't reach these expectations but that they are not the majority. Reading about all the corruption, bigotry, racism, and worse occurring in Politics right now just crushes my spirit. That truly public figures and events that are matters of public record can drive people to support such atrocities defies my every scrap of reason. So after careful consideration, I've decided that it's time to unsubscribe. Part of me feels guilty about choosing to be willfully ignorant of my primary source of political news, but I can keep track through other mediums when I feel like it, so this seems like the right decision.

No comments: