Friday, January 6, 2012

Blog Necromancy

I've been feeling the need to write lately, so I figured I have this blog that almost no one reads and it's as good a place as any to get some writing done. Little bit of blog necromancy.... does that me a blogomancer? Probably not, I think I'd reserve that sort of title for people who are fairly skilled bloggers. This is pretty much me just rambling because I want to take thoughts and put them into print.

Work's been rough, I've repeatedly been asked to do what conventional wisdom around the office believes cannot be done. Multiple times, that is multiple separate endeavors all of which were believed to be not doable. So far, I'm batting a solid average more out of determination than any great amount of skill. This is the truth about most truly challenging programming projects, and perhaps any project, you will inevitably encounter something that goes beyond your expertise, and possibly even the expertise of your colleagues. This will call upon a different skill, the ability to pull it all together. I've been routinely working with several of the office experts, none of which have attempted something of this complexity, but have done similar projects in the past.

At this stage my role as a coder is secondary to actually solving this challenge. My job is to ask the right questions, challenge the right answers, and piece together what the actual solution is to my problem. So far its been arduous and it hasn't really hit that downhill part where I cruise to the finish. Almost there though, just hope its in time.

No comments: