Saturday, January 14, 2012

Communication

Communication: It is the most important thing in our lives, whether its work, home, relationships, gaming, or any team endeavor. We all rely on the ability to communicate with each other in order to succeed in what we are doing. You would think that being so critical, that we as a species would have dedicated multiple generations to perfecting it.

We haven't.

Not even close, not in any culture.

It leads me to wonder why, is it language? Or is it the medium of the spoken word that is just wholly inadequate for conveying true meaning? I just today wanted to send a simple email, that composed in my mind would have needed a sentence, maybe two to adequately convey my meaning. Instead it turned into nearly two full paragraphs that rambled in all different directions and meandered more than a little.

In the geeky world there's often talk of telepathy being this insanely awesome power. I suspect that most don't consider it's uses beyond speaking without concern of distance or speech. I should wonder, though, would such a power allow for abstract concepts to be transmitted, and if so being able to harness such a means of communication could actually lead to the next great breakthroughs of mankind.

When a team of brilliant scientists didn't need to worry about terminology, perception, or language but could instead communicate their whole concepts with complete supporting contexts.

Imagine what raiding would be like if the leader could effortlessly convey the entire strategy complete with visuals and nuances of game-play that don't truly convert to words. It would be... Utopian, assuming that we were able to control who could or could not communicate to us directly.

This post didn't really go where I thought it would, which is funny since a post on communication struggled to communicate it's real point. I'd try to adjust but I feel like this post proves my point better than insightful commentary might.

No comments: